Ships USPS Media Mail $3.98.
Usually Ships in 1 to 4 Days.
Seed Sovereignty, Food Security: Women in the Vanguard of the Fight Against GMOs and Corporate Agriculture edited by Vandana Shiva
Vandana Shiva’s newest book, “Seed Sovereignty, Food Security” is an argument for a reclaiming of traditional methods of agricultural practice to secure a healthy, nourishing future for all of us.
A unique anthology of women’s writings from around the world about the movement to change the current industrial paradigm of how we grow our food. As seed keepers and food producers, as scientists, activists, and scholars, women are dedicated to renewing a food system that is better aligned with ecological processes as well as human health and global social justice.
This book addresses GMO safety and criticizes the impact of big agribusiness on traditional communities. These women writers are in the vanguard of defending the right of people everywhere to practice local, biodiverse, and organic farming as an alternative to industrial agriculture.
• Seed Sovereignty, Food Security VANDANA SHIVA
• Fields of Hope and Power FRANCES MOORE LAPPÉ & ANNA LAPPÉ
• The Ethics of Agricultural Biotechnology BETH BURROWS
• Food Politics, the Food Movement and Public Health MARION NESTLE
• Autism and Glyphosate: Connecting the Dots STEPHANIE SENEFF
• The New Genetics and Dangers of GMOs MAE-WAN HO
• Seed Emergency: Germany SUSANNE GURA
• GM Soy as Feed for Animals Affects Posterity IRINA ERMAKOVA & ALEXANDER BARANOFF
• Seeds in France TIPHAINE BURBAN
• Kokopelli vs. Graines Baumaux BLANCHE MAGARINOS-REY
• If People Are Asked, They Say NO to GMOs FLORIANNE KOECHLIN
• The Italian Context MARIA GRAZIA MAMMUCINI
• The Untold American Revolution: Seed in the US DEBBIE BARKER
• Reviving Native Sioux Agriculture Systems SUZANNE FOOTE
• In Praise of the Leadership of Indigenous Women WINONA LADUKE
• Moms Across America: Shaking up the System ZEN HONEYCUTT
• Seed Freedom and Seed Sovereignty: Bangladesh Today FARIDA AKHTER
• Monsanto and Biosafety in Nepal KUSUM HACHHETHU
• Sowing Seeds of Freedom VANDANA SHIVA
• The Loss of Crop Genetic Diversity in the Changing World TEWOLDE BERHAN GEBRE EGZIABHER & SUE EDWARDS
• Seed Sovereignty and Ecological Integrity in Africa MARIAM MAYET
• Conserving the Diversity of Peasant Seeds ANA DE ITA
• Celebrating the Chile Nativo ISAURA ANDALUZ
• Seed Saving and Women in Peru PATRICIA FLORES
• The Seeds of Liberation in Latin America SANDRA BAQUEDANO & SARA LARRAÍN
• The Other Mothers and the Fight against GMOs in Argentina ANA BROCCOLI
• Seeding Knowledge: Australia SUSAN HAWTHORNE
Dr. Vandana Shiva trained as a Physicist at the University of Punjab, India. Dr. Shiva combines sharp intellectual enquiry with courageous activism. she teaches at universities worldwide to working with peasants in rural India. Time Magazine identified Dr. Shiva as an environmental ‘hero’ in 2003, and Asia Week has called her one of the 5 most powerful communicators in Asia. In November 2010, Forbes Magazine identified Dr. Shiva as one of the Seven Most Powerful Women on the Globe.
Dr. Shiva’s contributions to gender issues are nationally and internationally recognised. She founded the gender unit at the International Centre for Mountain Development (ICIMOD) in Kathmandu, and was a founding Board Member of the Women Environment and Development Organization (WEDO). Dr. Shiva has also initiated Diverse Women for Diversity, an international movement of women working for food and agriculture. The movement was launched formally in Bratislava, Slovakia, in May 1998.
Dr. Shiva has contributed in fundamental ways to changing the practice and paradigms of agriculture and food. She has made visible the social, economic and ecological costs of corporate-led globalisation. Dr. Shiva has made significant contributions to the areas of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) and biodiversity.
An argument for a reclaiming of traditional methods of agricultural practice to secure a healthy, nourishing future for all of us. The women writers in this anthology are in the vanguard of defending the right of people everywhere to practice local, biodiverse, and organic farming as an alternative to industrial agriculture.
Dr. Shiva campaigns internationally on issues surrounding biotechnology and genetic engineering. She has helped movements in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Ireland, Switzerland and Austria with their campaigns against genetic engineering. In 2003, when the US initiated a dispute against the EU to remove the bans and moratoria on genetically modified crops and foods, Dr. Shiva launched a global citizens campaign on GMOs in the WTO.
Internationally, Dr. Shiva serves on Prince Charles’s expert group on Sustainable Agriculture and she is a member of President Zapatero’s Scientific Committee in Spain. Dr. Shiva advises governments worldwide, and is currently working with the Government of Bhutan to make Bhutan 100% organic. She is also working with the Governments of Tuscany and Rome to create a hopeful and livable future for young people in these times of crises.