Multipure Contaminant Reduction List
Improving the World, One Glass of Water at a Time
Lifetime Warranty on Housings. 1-Year Warranty on Accessories.
Multipure Drinking Water Systems Reduce MTBE, Chlorination Byproducts, PCBs, Chloramine, VOCs, Heavy Metals, and Numerous Other Contaminants.
Multipure prides itself on its ability to develop new solutions to the evolving science of water filtration, and on its ability to treat drinking water for the broadest array of contaminants. NSF Certification ensures public health standards and certification programs that help protect the world’s food, water, consumer products and environment:
NSF-certified for NSF/ANSI Standard 401: Emerging Compounds/Incidental Contaminants: Covers contaminants such as prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, herbicides and pesticides, and chemical compounds. Specific examples of these contaminants include estrone (a hormone), ibuprofen (an over-the-counter pain reliever), DEET (a pesticide and insect repellent), and BPA (a chemical compound used in plastics).
NSF Certified Standard 42 (Aesthetic Effects): Verifies a drinking water filter effectively removes contaminants that cause undesirable odor and taste, such as chlorine.
NSF Certified Standard 53 (Health Effects): Verifies that a filter can effectively reduce specific health-related contaminants such as Cryptosporidium, Giardia, lead, volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether), that may be present in public or private drinking water.”
NSF Certification is an assurance of quality, performance, and integrity:
• The system meets the contaminant reduction claims of the manufacturer
• The system is not adding anything harmful to the water
• The system is structurally sound
• Advertising, literature, and labeling are not misleading
• The materials and manufacturing process do not change
Contaminants mechanically filtered by the Solid Carbon Block filter:
• asbestos – mineral once used in building insulation; known to cause cancer
• cysts – dormant microorganisms that may include bacteria and parasites
• particulates – miscellaneous physical particles that can cause turbidity
(general water cloudiness)
Contaminants chemically adsorbed or reduced by the Solid Carbon Block filter:
• chlordane – used as a pesticide
• lead and mercury – types of metals; known neurotoxins that can poison the blood,
nervous system, and brain
• MTBE (methyl tert-butyl ether) – used as a gasoline additive
• PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) – a fluid used in many electrical components
• Radon – a radioactive, colorless, odorless, tasteless gas
• toxaphene – a banned, highly toxic insecticide
• VOCs – volatile organic compounds
Contaminants reduced through chemical reaction:
• chlorine and chloramine – chemicals often used as disinfectants
Detailed Contaminant Reduction List
Multipure® Drinking Water Systems are NSF certified, and tested according to NSF/ANSI Standards 42 (Aesthetics), 53 (Health Effects) and 401 for the reduction of:
• Arsenic V*
• Bisphenol A**
• Cyst (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba, Toxoplasma)
• Nonyl phenol**
• Particulate matter, Class I (0.5 micron)
• Volatile Organic Chemicals (listed below):
o Carbon Tetrachloride
o 2,4-D (Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid)
o 1,2 Dichloropropane
o Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)
o Haloacetonitriles (HAN):
o Haloketones (HK):
o Heptachlor Epoxide
o 2,4,5-TP (Silvex)
o Tribromoacetic acid
o Trihalomethanes (TTHM):
- Chloroform (surrogate chemical)
o Xylenes (total)
*Multipure Aquaperform models are certified to reduce Arsenic V. Multipure Aquaversa and Aquadome models do not reduce Arsenic V; however, they reduce all other contaminants listed.
**Multipure Aquadome and Aquaversa models only.
The list of contaminants that Multipure Drinking Water Systems reduce does not mean that these substances are present in your tap water. Be sure to check for compliance with state and local laws and regulations.