Feminism Telesummit with Max Dashu - Why Our History is Important & Juicy!
Inscribed and charged symbols on ceramics and ceremonial weavings have cosmological significance, global similarities, and cultural connections. Max Dashu has recorded these sacred narratives. Everyone has historical roots to claim and an authentic place to stand without appropriating other cultures. This is medicine for women's spirits!
Max Dashu, Why Our History is Important -- and Juicy!
Listen to Our Interview with Max Dashu Below:
Max Dashu is interviewed by Lesbian Playwright, Carolyn Gage.
They talk about recovering women's history and the institutional gate keepers that filter and limit what we are allowed to learn, study and publish. And they discuss:
- Indigenous orature which has only begun to be considered as history by Western Civics strongholds.
- Women-originated technologies in which economic and spiritual realms are not separated.
- The witch hunts, women's freedom to move, and how today's witch hunts are acclimating women to attacking other women.
- Mother-right and patriarchy as historical process, overlays.
- How patriarchy presses on modern women's lives.
- How Pornography grew out of the torture of the witch hunts and the demonization of women.
- That Wise Women are called Knower, Seer, Diviner, Witch, Chanting Woman, Herbalist and more in different cultures and times.
- Mother-Right cultures include Matriarchal but also non-Matriarchal cultures as patriarchy enforced/enforces sexual fidelity and virginity codes.
- How women are deeply colonized. The sexualization of women is moving the norms forward into porn prescribed sexuality.
Max Dashu has spent the past 45 years uncovering suppressed women’s history and creating and presenting hundreds of slideshows at women's and community centers, universities, bookstores, schools, libraries, prisons, galleries, festivals and conferences in North America, Mexico, Europe and Australia. She founded the Suppressed Histories Archives in 1970 to research and document global women's history and heritages. Her work bridges the gap between academia and grassroots education. It foregrounds indigenous women passed over by standard histories, highlighting female spheres of power in mother-right cultures, and retained even in some patriarchal societies today.
(We make an effort to hear Max's presentations whenever she comes to town. Here she is meeting my family. You can see she is glad to hear about my youngest GrandDaughter's upcoming school report on Goddesses. Genny LaMorgan, owner, GreenWomanStore.com)
Learn More About Max's Work Here:
- Witches and Pagans by Max Dashu$24.99
Witches and Pagans gathers strands to reweave the ripped webs of European women's culture. A compelling exploration of archeology, art, literature and language. 40 years in the making!
- Woman Shaman: The Ancients, Movie DVD by Max Dashu$30.00
Medicine for Your Spirit! A rich multi-cultural record of medicine women, oracles, healers, trance-dancers and dreamers around the world. All of our Ancestresses. Two-disc DVD.
3 hours with music and commentary.
Watch a Preview
- Average rating:Female Icons Poster, Ancestral Mothers by Max Dashu$20.00
Ancient female figurines recollect the world's primordial spiritual art in all its diversity. 18" x 24".
Watch the Female Icons Video
- Scholar & Artist, Max Dashu, Why Our History Is Important -- and Juicy