Women’s Institute For A Secure Retirement (WISER) provides Women’s Retirement Planning, improving the long-term financial security of all women through education and advocacy.
Women are 2 times more likely to be poor in retirement than men. We make financial decisions every day, and there are lots of opportunities to make positive changes for long-term financial security. WISER gives hope to women who need basic financial and retirement education to improve their lives. What a wonderful help for women!
“Start small and make a Big difference! Women earn less and live longer. Plan for it! Know your numbers, how much will you need in retirement? Make your own personal retirement plan to allow for financial security during the 3 to 10 years many of us live alone as we age.” Lara Hinz, Director of Programs at WISER
Women’s Retirement Planning:
– A 1-Stop Gateway for Retirement Planning: The National Resource Center On Women And Retirement Planning. The Center’s goal is to assist the Aging Network in educating women of all ages about planning for their future financial, health and long-term care needs. The core of the Center’s work is the direct impact we have on women in communities across the country. Every year, WISER reaches tens of thousands of women with our workshops, trainings, print and electronic materials, and website.
– A Simple Guide to What Everyone Needs to Know About Money & Retirement: This guide will provide you with the basic information you need to know to start making decisions about your retirement. Make sure you are getting the most you can from your employer-sponsored pension plan. If you don’t have a retirement strategy yet, it’s time you started! Use this guide to develop a strategy for your retirement. It’s never too late or too early! This publication is available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, and Vietnamese here.
– Researched and detailed answers to questions. WISER partners with other organizations to produce research on issues surrounding financial security, retirement, aging, and related topics. They provide free researched published that focus on these important issues related to women and retirement here.
– Financial Steps for Caregivers: What You Need to Know about Protecting Your Money and Retirement is designed to help you identify financial decisions you may face as a caregiver. These decisions can affect both your short-term and long-term financial security, including your own retirement.
WISER’s Newsletter: WISER’s latest newsletter includes a feature on reverse mortgages and reverse mortgage scams, offers tips for choosing between a monthly payment or lump sum pension payout, and highlights recent research on caregivers. You can also learn more about new resources available including the Administration for Community Living’s new campaign focused on brain health, and the Department of Health & Human Services new site, www.aging.gov.
– Nurses’ Investor Education Project: WISER’s Report Highlights Effective Financial Education Project for Nurses- A multi-year financial education initiative aiming to improve nurses’ financial security using educational tools, resources, and peer-to-peer training and workshops. “Changing Investment and Savings Behavior of Nurses” helps identify nurses’ specific financial information needs and provide them with tools to help them successfully manage and build their wealth into retirement. Read the report here.
– Do you know about MyRA (my Retirement Account), a government-backed retirement plan launched nationwide that provides a savings option for the tens of millions of U.S. workers whose employers don’t offer a retirement savings plan. The MyRA accounts are open to anyone earning an annual salary of less than $131,000, or $193,000 if they are married and file taxes jointly. There is no minimum or fee to open an account. Payments can go into the plan automatically, either directly from a checking or savings account, or from an employer’s payroll system, via direct deposit. Learn more at myra.gov.
WISER helps women retire with dignity and security by educating us to avoid poverty in old age with many helpful resources: Publications, website, blog, workshops, trainings, research, rural grassroots education, and press.
WISER gives hope to women who need basic financial and retirement education to improve their lives.
“I feel empowered to make the right and good decisions for retirement security.”
By giving $20, you can help extend their reach to even more women like yourself.
Lara says, “Start small and make a Big difference! Women earn less and live longer. Plan for it! Know your numbers, how much will you need in retirement? Make your own personal retirement plan to allow for financial security during the 3 to 10 years many of us live alone as we age.”