Chimney fires are preventable.
- *Have a professional Chimney Sweep clean your chimney once a year, and sometimes twice. Creosote, a tar-like substance builds up on the inside of your chimney and can cause smoke to come right back into your house.
- *Use dry hard wood that has been “seasoned” for at least one year. No soft woods like pine or willow. Dispose of the ashes once a fire is out.
- *Most Important: Every Home Should Have a Carbon Monoxide Detector!
- *Ladder safety: Falls are a major cause of holiday emergency room visits. Make sure ladders are on solid ground, have someone hold the ladder if possible, and watch out for power lines when moving the ladder.
- *Stringing lights: Don’t hook more than three strings together and check plugs and wires to make sure they aren’t damaged.
- *Leaving home: Always turn off indoor holiday lights, and if you will be gone a long time, turn off outdoor lights too. Make sure outdoor lights are rated for outdoor use.
- *Candles: Electric or LED candles are safe alternatives, especially with children and pets. Keep wax candles away from combustibles and in secure candleholders.
HAVE A SAFE AND FUN HOLIDAY SEASON!
Who Doesn’t Love a Good Book!
We all have Book Worms on our Gift List. People Called Women is a Multi-Cultural Feminist Bookstore in Toledo, Ohio. They are celebrating their 20th Anniversary with a huge Book Sale!