Feminism Telesummit with Rita Henley Jensen - Why Are The Mothers Dying?
We have the only rising maternal mortality rate in the developed world. Women's mortality rates indicate the effectiveness of a nation's healthcare system. Our hospitals are not prepared or equipped to deal with obstetric emergencies! African American women die 2 to 3 times more often!
Rita Henley Jensen -- Why Are The Mothers Dying?
The U.S. has the only rising maternal mortality rate in the developed world. Rita Henley Jensen broke this story in Women's eNews! The emphasis now is on keeping premature and low birth weight babies alive vs. maternal care to increase the birth weight of their babies. The reasons women die are embolisms, infections, hemorrhaging and Pre-eclampsia -- which is 50% avoidable! U.S. hospitals are not prepared or equipped to deal with obstetric emergencies!
Women's mortality rates indicate the effectiveness of a nation's healthcare system. There is no consistency in state's reporting of maternal death due to their refusal to add this reason for death on Death Certificates.
- African American women die 3 to 4 times more often of pregnancy than white women.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) statistics are higher than the CDC's.
- African American women experience racism by Medicaid when in pain.
- Women need a partner or advocate in delivery! "Every pregnancy needs a Midwife and a Doula," says Rita.
- 100 Anti-Abortion Laws were introduced in the first two months of 2015!
What becomes news and what becomes the national conversation is determined by money and polls. Women journalists are widely unreported advocates of women's stories. Rita Henley Jensen has a tremendous love for basic fairness. She founded Women's eNews and is impassioned to "change journalism." Women's eNews has a focus on optimism, and the push-back by women toward solutions and advocacy to make things happen. "You have to stay informed to make change," Rita says!