People Called Women, a Multicultural Feminist Bookstore in the Toledo, Ohio metropolitan area, has been providing books, unique woman-made gift items, music, social and educational events, meeting space, and resources for Northwest Ohio’ s and Southeast Michigan’s women’s community since 1993. National feminist events, such as the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival and the National Women’s Studies Association annual conference, and the internet have given People Called Women the opportunity to reach feminists throughout the U.S., Canada and other areas of the world. However, surviving as an independent bookstore in today’s market is very difficult.
That’s why shopping at People Called Women is so important.
Not only do you support a woman-owned small business, you help sustain a space that supports women’s organizations and projects, feminist social justice initiatives, educational and cultural programming that empowers diverse girls and women from Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan, and informal meetings of women that inspire innovative thought and reflection on the multitude of socio-economic, political issues affecting women’s lives today.
THE TOP 10 REASONS TO ORDER BOOKS FROM PEOPLE CALLED WOMEN:
10. People Called Women is an independent, woman-owned bookstore.
9. It is one of the few remaining feminist bookstores in the U.S. and Ohio’s only feminist bookstore.
8. It is a physical and online space to discover new books by and about women, as well as older feminist classics.
7. It can quickly fill your Green Woman Store orders.
6. It is a unique feminist space that has supported women artists, craftswomen, and community organizations in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan for over 20 years.
5. It is a cultural space that holds educational events, concerts, book groups, author readings and book signings.
4. It is a political space for feminist collectives, workshops, organizations, and individuals to meet.
3. Its book tables and resources actively support regional and national feminist causes and events.
2. Like many independent bookstores, People Called Women is struggling to survive and needs your support.
1. As feminist and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Gloria Steinem, has said, “If you want to know what you value, look at where you spend your money.”